9/06/2004

Something I forgot

During all the hullabaloo with my server last week, I forgot to mention a sad thing. Last week was former Generals hockey coach Rick Adduono's last week in town. He and his wife Melanie were returning to Canada while he looks for another job in hockey. It is a terrible loss for this town as he had more hope for and faith in Greensboro than most long time residents who suffer from Ed Cone's "Greensboro Disease".

I had a chance to interview Rick for the Generals Booster Club newsletter a few days before he was scheduled to leave. Unfortunately, I can't disclose the contents of that interview as it hasn't been published to the Club yet. But suffice it to say, Greensboro should be ashamed of itself for the way it treated this good man. He kept fighting for Greensboro when others would have packed their bags and ran.

This city has lost a truly good citizen. Let's hope some of these rumors I'm hearing about new hockey ownership groups come to pass and he is still available to return to Greensboro. I hope it is just "goodbye for now" rather than "farewell forever".